We are fortunate to be sponsored by St. Andrews Episcopal Church at the corner of Meyer and Wornall in Kansas City. This church has sponsored the troop for over 80 years and our plaque of Eagle Scouts adorning the church’s main hall contains the names of more than 300 accomplished Scouts.
The original Charter for the Troop dates back to 1922. The troop was strong and active until the late 80s, when the troop became dormant for several years. In 1998, the Scouting movement was restarted at St. Andrews, with Cub Pack 16. The Cub Pack was restarted with just 7 boys, who learned and grew. Soon after, the Boy Scout troop was restarted in the fall of 2002, with the same seven boys. The troop has seen growth every year since then and currently there are more than eighty boys in the troop.
We currently have our Scout Rooms in the basement of the Youth Building, called HJ’s, which is located east of the main church on Wornall. The church is very supportive of our troop, allowing us to raise funds through a variety of fundraisers at the church. In return, the troop completes service projects for the church, such as making luminaries for use at Christmas services and cleaning the church buildings prior to Easter. While many of our boys call St. Andrew’s their church, there are many others who come from others churches, denominations, or faiths.